Thursday 13 February 2014

Feathers stashed in the attic

I thought we were like the rest 
Men & women who fall in love 
Who beget little children
Go for holidays 
To beaches to pick seashells 
And postcards 

I thought I was reared in boxes and birthmarks
That grow eyesores and fit in with mediocrity that comforts
I had shared space with virgin births and messianic specials on TV
Packed and pierced to fit in with decorums 
Where God and blizzards existed.

Then you happened 
I saw your amazing limbs, of Apollo 
Like mist we floated over hills and grazed nights 
With nowhere to go but to my birthmarks and makeup 
You must have known dreams gallop and then betray one in the morning
You keep roaming the day with that one thought that refuses to surface.
I would see the lions eating up happy women and underwear
And the children are fragrances and remorse
The cat in my neighbourhood stalked the pretty pigeons 
and the feathers got stuck at times on those office-goers clothes.
The night on your side climbed and marched to my weapons 
and my faith would no longer pay heed to my ramblings

Since then we were not like the rest
I needed to wake up and nestle in my small girl syndrome 
To live in our big sprawling mansion 
With little alteration in the creases of the bodices and the attics
To witness the ordeals of promised and standing 

But you must visit our attic when you have days 
When life offers less 
There I left the table brimming with sentimental scraps and culture 
Stashed with the feathers that came floating by

5 comments:

  1. Decimating negativity through such powerful imagery. Such a spiritual and powerful poem. I have been been following your blog Miss Shaw. You are a powerful writer. Such command over language.Indeed wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love every poem of yours.Unabashadedly sensual with your style. There is a prism of your chosen side and you allow your readers to locate themselves. You humanise all you describe. The poem doesn't leave you even when it's over. Beautiful Poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poulome you have the imagination of a poet and the language of the native. Beautiful! Your poems take us to a world which only the best poems can do.

    ReplyDelete